Saturday, March 16, 2013

Micro Review : LEGO Indiana Jones The Original Adventures (Nintendo DS)


Micro Review
Handheld Edition
LEGO Indiana Jones The Original Adventures
Nintendo DS

I am an avid LEGO gaming fan, ever since Traveler's Tale first rolled out LEGO Star Wars back in the time of Episode III Revenge of the Sith I have been a dedicated player of the LEGO franchise... but even so not every Nintendo DS itieration of LEGO games has earned praise from me.

I have enjoyed LEGO Star Wars II The Original Trilogy but Complete Saga with all six episodes... not so much. OK, so what did I think of the DS version of the first LEGO Indiana Jones? Lets see here...

Of course it is an adapt of the first LEGO Indiana Jones game, that goes without saying... what does need to be said is that if you loved the other versions you should play this one... why? Isnt it the same game? Well... no, not exactly.

Yes it shares things in common with, say, the PSP or Wii version but this is a DS adapt. Of the DS/DS Lite and first gen PSP 1K1 to 3K1 the DS lacked the pure power of the PSP. But what the DS version usually lacks in graphical power it more than makes up for in innovation, though not all DS adapts are gems. Movie adapts usually being the worst of the lot, though I am quite pleased to say the DS adapts are always better fare. Yes I have been down on some outings like the Complete Saga of LEGO Star Wars, or LEGO Indiana Jones II, but even a less than perfect LEGO game is better than most adapts like Spider-Man or Pirates of the Caribbean on DS.

My biggest problems with this, and really any LEGO game, is that they are rather short (maybe 10-20 or so hours of concentrated effort in order to achieve 100%) and lacks a randomizer to keep Free Play fresh and replayable. I love me my LEGO games, for its humor and addictive gameplay, but it is also not a perfect franchise. It is fun, but you have to learn how to embrace LEGO games shortcomings with its good points. In this case all the gameplay you are used to, and a ton of DS unique touch screen games. And while the overall presentation is pretty good, and the mini games are themed to the Indy movies and pretty fun... its still abit short and lacks replay value. Still all in all I am going to give it a high 3 out of 5.

Next on my list? The original LEGO Batman and LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean DS! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment